Mountain Man
Call it a talent. But Johny works with people. He works with people a lot. He settles back in his office, rented in an office building of a non-descript nature, the sort that caters to telecommuters and other remote employees or small businesses. He sits in front of the computer screen, tapping out physical commands on the keyboard, squinting slightly at the screen, like any other drone-worker.

Missing person case… car found outside of town… lost in the blizzard last week… supposedly has a cabin… Up near pikes peak though. Huh. Gonna need magical assistance… and outdoors experience. Funny enough, getting a woodsman in Denver, in the middle of the goddamn rocky mountains.. is harder than you might think.

A call is placed to a friend of his, resulting in a reference to a cop, who references Dane.

Two calls are made; the first to Slinger. The second by Detective Smith to Dane, referring him to the meet place and vouching for the man he's meeting.

Dane trusts Roger, so he is willing to make a go for it. He asks the the oh-so-fashionable one how he should suit up for the occassion. Right now, Dane would be at the Mustang Ranch, since that seemed to be where he hangs.

Slinger answers on about the fourth ring, sopping wet. Apparently, the elf was in the shower. "Yo!" he says into the phone. The sound of running water is easily heard beneath his voice. "S'up?"

Johny closes the door to his rented office. "Kaivan. Got a job here thats up your ally, so to speak. Can you meet me at the Remote Control? It's an office-plex over in the Ute Nation… It's not paying much, but it's something to spend the night doing."

Slinger chuckles. "You know me… if it's in a good cause, I'm down for it. Be there in thirty, if I got time to shower and get dressed up. How much gear should I bring?" he asks, as he shuts off the water and starts towelling down his young body, built more solidly than most mages of his race.

"You're gonna be headed out of town, and times somewhat of the essence, so pack your hiking boots, a warm coat and enough cigarettes to be away from the stuffer shack for a while. You're being paired up with an untested asset, ex cop by the name of Dane. He has good references."

Dane. Dane. Not somebody Slinger knows. "Gotcha. No big armor," he comments thoughtfully. Even while he's getting dressed, with the phone tucked to his ear. Referring of course, to the medium security armor — conspicuous, but nice on the protection. "Got it. I'll pack all that, be there in twenty. That quick enough?"

Dane figures he is told that it will be an outdoors sort of thing, then? He speaks quietly with Roger on the phone, being able to go hands free with the pocket secretary in his mouth and the datacable run into his datajack while he gets suited up into his camo. He had a transducer, so he could do weird things like that.

Johny glances at his watch. Which does not exist. It's more an affectation than anything else. "S'fine. Grab me some StarNuyen coffee on the way over. Mocha, Massive, with Peppermint. And one of those danish things they have. See ya soon."

And yes, Roger will pass on that he knows the job is outside of Denver, something outdoorsy and trackery. Something that you silly frenchy will enjoy.

Slinger hangs up the phone, and then he's packing up and heading out to his SUV. The armor in its box goes back into the apartment, and the rest of the items go into the vehicle. Nothing illegal there. The most illegal thing he has is his foci… mutter. Still has to do something about that. But that done, he drives, heading toward the border checkpoint and into Ute territory. His fake identity should stand up to the scrutiny, and from there it's a short drive to the building in question.

«OOC» Johny says, "Does he bring coffee? :)"
«OOC» Slinger says, "He does indeed stop off at one and grab coffee. And several danishes. He has hot chocolate for himself, though. And straight up coffee for Dane. He's nice :)"

Dane rarely rolls his eyes, but he does now, while he gets his wild hunt suited up, doing so in the back of the LS americar. Hey, it had tinted windows, okay? He gets up in front afterwards, and then he starts the vehicle, heading out. He had the Barrett at home, the Remington 950 was here, though, and he doubted that the situation called for a heavy-hoop sniper rifle, so he leaves the big thing at home. He heads out onto the isolated road, asking where the meet will be, putting the pocket secretary down on the dash.

The meet is at the Remote-Control, an office building in the Ute Nation.

The office is on the 4th floor of a building in the middle of an office park. Plenty of parking, plenty of people, lots of them in business casual attire, none of them looking like runners.

Slinger shows up with a winter coat, though he has his secure coat in the SUV, still. Nice winter parka that hangs on his young shoulders, along with a decent soft-collar shirt and rugged slacks, and of course his form-fitting armor underneath it all. The pack of cigarettes is in the inside pocket of his jacket, and he has one burning as he strides into the office, carrying the offerings of coffee and Danishes in one of those odd cardboard constructions, with the steam still emitting from the lid.

Dane hmms. He is not sure if he wants to drive this vehicle through border patrol, like it is. He would have to find out from the guy who gave it to him if it was properly registered to be able to pass through. This kind of thing would be bad with which to hit the border and should probably stay in the CAS just to be safe. He parks at the mountain hills, jumps out, runs to his place on the first floor, grabs his duffle bags full of survival and climbing goodies, and then he heads back out to grab a cab.

Johny meets Slinger and Dane at the office door. "Gentlemen.. thank you for coming. Ah! Perfect, Mr. Smith." he says, to Slinger and his coffee/danish cargo. "And… Mr. Doe." he says to Dane, not taking any liberties with his name. "Come on in, close the door behind you."

The Office is as bare and generic as they come, consisting of docking ports for various personal computers and toys.

Dane looks over Johny and Slinger, and he nods a little bit, walking in with a couple of bags of stuff, and in a camo jumpsuit, the not-urban kind. He says, "Aye." quietly and then closes the door behind the group, as asked.

Slinger glances around the interior of the office, nodding approvingly. "Not a bad setup," he remarks casually, as he takes his hot chocolate and fires up a cigarette without even bothering to ask. He's a Shadowrunner, after all, and he smokes where he wants. He inhales a deep drag, then walks over to a chair and drops down into it. "We clear to talk?" he asks casually, glancing toward Dane. Mr. Doe.

Dane scans the office space, and then he moves to a chair as well. He does not bother smoking, and a nice little addition to that is that he does not bother the one smoking, either. He just seats himself, and then he looks between the other two, just waiting to hear what Johny might say.

Johny taps one key on the computer hooked in to the hookups, and a whitenoise hum fills the room. "We are now." he says simply, taking a seat. "I called you both here today because I'm too damn lazy to walk down the street to get my own coffee and danish." He says, reaching for his coffee and his danish.

A pause.

"Actually, I've got a bit of a side job I need done. Nothing horrible, nothing dangerous as I know it, but out of the way and not my MOS, if you scan me."

Slinger nods. He scans. "Gotcha. So what's the mission, and what's the potential upside?" he asks, glancing over at Dane as he leans forward to knock his ash off somewhere. And sips from his hot chocolate, carefully. Very carefully — it's still rather hot.

Dane did change up his desc. The character himself actually looks to Slinger and then toward the movements of his cigarette, but he does not seem bothered by the smoking, just observant of it. He lifts his brown-eyed gaze from the ashtray and then looks back toward Johny, nodding slightly to the side toward the other runner, wondering about the same questions.

"Upsides 10 large for a successful recovery, 5 for a body." Says the man as he sips his coffee now. "Hiker went missing last week up near pikes peak. No ones been able to find him, the aura of the peak fuddles technology and watcher spirits just get lost. Snow sort of compounded things. But, they think he's alive and they want yall to go take a look around. They found his car this morning, so they have a vector to work from. A normal search team takes just too damn long to put together… so they are paying for expediency."

Dane keeps his eyes focused on Johny and nods once after the explanation, and then he says softly with a slightly accented voice, Canadian French for those who were used to that sort of thing, plus whatever people pick up after being in Seattle or the CAS Denver Sector for a while. He gets out his pocket secretary, and then he checks for the weather report in that area.

Dane says "Pikes Peak, and do you have any photos of this man, or a name?"

The youth considers that. "How lost of a cause is this? How long has he been missing, and do we know anything about him, what sort of equipment he had, rations, anything like that?" he asks, considering equipment that will be needed. He has a few spells that might help, though nothing that might help as much as just simple warmth. "I can heal him if he's injured, of course, but finding him will be the hard part." He glances over to Dane thoughtfully. "What's your area of expertise?"

"Mr. John Selevar is an experienced outdoorsman, formerly a free-climber living in the Cal Free before he relocated to Denver to work for FTL Matrix Systems. They are not the client however. He's one of those very very odd sorts who actually program and maintain a healthy physical lifestyle that consists of more than simply Happytarts, SLAMO-Cola and Brick-O-Noodle."

Johny provides an 8-by-10 glossy of Mr. Selvar posing at the top of Yosemite's 'Half Dome', a big shit-eating grin on his lips. He does not seem to have climbing gear with him.

Dane listens to both, and then he says to Slinger softly, "I made a living surviving for four years, so I guess you might say 'things like this'" he offers then smiles just slightly, before returning to a neutral gaze that goes to Johny, and then he nods. "No climbing gear, eh?"

"Free-climber." Clarifies Johny. "No gear."

Dane says "Foolish." Dane shrugs and smirks. "Whatever makes him happy though. Hopefully we'll find him."

"So's smoking, fucking and Shadowrunning." Says Johny with a shrug. "We do what we do for reasons that are our own."

Slinger takes a drag off his cigarette and knocks more ash off of it. "Yeah. Sounds like this guy might've hit foul play, or just bad luck. How long's he been out there, best guess? Did I miss that part?" he asks thoughtfully. "And do we want this kept quiet, with us staying out of sight? Or is it okay if the other rescue-types know we're there?"

Dane nods to what is said, and then he goes quiet, just to listen to the answers to those questions, since they were pretty good ones.

"Well, this is ute holy land, to tell you the simple honest here. It would be bad to be caught there, rescue or not, if you're off the beaten path. And this man will be. He's been out for nearly a week now. He had enough supplies on him, based on whats missing from his car, for 5 days, so he's been out for 2. He may be snowed in, he may be hurt, but he's probably alive, based on who he is."

Slinger nods thoughtfully. "Astral search is impossible, because of the mountain. So we're stuck on foot," he comments. "I'll have to pick up some heavier gear for this, unless you have some we can borrow. When you said outdoors, I didn't realize this'd involve /that/ much outdoors," he admits with a faint grin. "Even so, I think we can do it. Or at least try — better than doing nothing. I'm good. You?" he asks, directing the question to Dane.

Dane nods, "Hopefully. I got one of those fancy medkits." and then he looks over toward Slinger, "and you said you could heal, too, right? Yeah, I am in."

Johny sliders over an old fashioned map and a compass. Most people who have been in the military will know basic land navigation, as its part of basic training. "Remember, don't rely on high magic and don't trust technology. You're going to need to use your brains and your brawn on this one."

The youth winces. Those are his two strong suits, one far more than the other. He exhales a cloud of smoke, nods once, and looks at the compass. "Got cold-weather gear we can borrow, or do we need to buy some?" he wants to know, asking the questions of the two of them. "Other than that, let us know where his vehicle is, and we'll hit it from there. I can use my SUV, or whatever you might have," he comments, directing that to Dane.

Dane says quietly, "I did not bring a vehicle, so if you do not mind, carpooling in the SUV sounds like a good plan. I have an extra greatcoat in here, not sure if it is enough, though. Need mittens and headgear, since your head and your hands leak the most heat." he advises.

Johny nods to the others… "I can provide you with a suitable all terrain vehicle, but I need it returned to me, in -working order-, after you're done with it. You break it, you paid for it."

Dane says "How much did it cost?"

Slinger nods thoughtfully. "Yeah, we'll take that… well, depends how much it costs. I don't want it if it's too… yeah, that," he says, grinning at Dane's question. We're going to get along fine. He takes another drag of smoke, crushes the thing out in the ashtray, and exhales a cloud of addictive smoke upward. Even if he does look too young for the habit.

Johny smirks, eying the pair of men. "Nothing, if you don't break it. Too much if you do." He shrugs then. "Take it or leave it boys, but its tits cold up on that mountain and its not getting warmer."

Dane grins slightly back over to Slinger, seeming to lighten up a little, settling into the current company. He looks to Johny, listens, then lets out a soft breath before looking back toward Slinger, "Up to you." he says, slight smirk going.

Slinger considers that, then nods. "Yeah, this guy's life is on the line. We'll try to keep it safe for ya," he agrees. Then he pauses. "Will the ATV fit on a trailer or something? Or is it a big one, fully enclosed?" he wants to know. Trying to plan this out.

"Out back." He says, removing a set of three keys from a drawer and sliding them over. "A pair of snow mobiles on the trailer of Land Rover with snow tires, chains and a winch. Snowmobiles have a 30 mile range. Don't exceed it or you walk home and then you go back out with enough fuel to get them home."

Dane motions to one of the bags he brought, "Got climbing gear, but only one harness and gloves set… got some flares and thermal blankets and flashlights and such in the other… We aughta pick up another set of all this stuff."

Slinger nods, grabs the keys, and is ready to go. We'll decide who drives one we get ready to hit the road. "Climbing isn't an issue for me," Slinger says with a smirk. "Even if magic is a little wonky, that's a low-level spell, and I think I can handle it. Gloves, though, we can use s'more. We can hit a 24-hour sporting-goods store for some of it. I'll cover my own gear on this part of it," the youth agrees, and rises swiftly to his feet. "Let's get moving."

Dane nods in agreement, getting up and collecting his bags and backpack, and then he gets ready to follow the younger man, or was he younger? He looked it, but Dane did not really know. He does not ask.

Johny nods then, sipping his coffee. He's put out the terms. He's put out the information. It's up to the professionals now.

«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Survival (Wilderness) for "We prep really well?":
1 3 3 4 4 8 16 26
«OOC» Dane says, "Holy crap, I'd say we do. :P"
«OOC» Johny says, "You prep exceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedinly well."
«Plot» Johny says, " In short, with 500 in spent cash (Taken from run pay out, don't spend anything now), you will get a collection of gear that will allow you overcome most any natural obstacle, even if it takes a hellacious amount of work. You're not going to be caught off guard by natural conditions."

Dane also runs some advice, but he would shut up if it did not seem wanted, "Need layers, loose, and not enough to make you sweat, sweating is very bad." while they shop. He still speaks quietly, and in the same softly accented tones.

Dane is non confrontational, so he has no problems with letting Slinger drive. He was a better passenger right now than a driver!

After the purchases are made, Slinger loads them into the vehicle, then heads for the wheel, having compared notes on driving skill. Sadly, Slinger is the better driver, which isn't saying a great deal. And he heads off in the proper direction, settling in with his fresh carton of cancer sticks for the long drive. At least we shouldn't have to cross any sector boundaries…

Dane got his own stuff in, and got himself in, along for the ride. He pulls out a Nav Dat, just checking to see how far away they were from where they were going. Hopefully, right now, it would not be too hard to tell all that. Dane knows it will be useless later, though.

According to Nav Dat, your about 60 miles away.

Since you're already in the Ute Nation, just one Denver Internal Boarder needs be crossed: In the Pueblo Sector. After that, you will have to pass a unique situation. Pikes Peak lies outside the FRFZ. In the Pubelo Corporate Council itself, not just the PCC Sector. SO it becomes a question… who's entering the PCC, according to the Official Record?

«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) has the Fake SIN UCAS-00069-0001QM-000003-CD7 (Gregory Smith) with the following information:
------------------------------------------------------[ Shadowrun Denver ]-----
=====================> SIN Information for Slinger (#69) <=====================
SIN: UCAS-00069-0001QM-000003-CD7
Name: Gregory Smith
Rating: 9
Created: Tue Apr 10 01:32:24 2001
Player: Slinger (#69)
GM Note: Fake SIN purchased at Chargen with Resources.
GM Note: (Sat May 22 13:46:38 2004) This Sin has 'grown' in the time since SLinger's Chargen.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------[ Shadowrun Denver ]-----
======================> SIN Information for Dane (#337) <======================
SIN: QUE-00337-000EKA-00073W-ESP
Name: Dane Durand Renard
Type: Real
Created: Sun Mar 15 07:06:23 2009
Player: Dane (#337)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
«OOC» Johny says, "SLing: +roll 9(SIN)/5~Pueblo Corporate Council Sector SINCheck"
«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) has the Information Real Name with the value 'Dane Durand Renard'.
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls 9 (SIN rating) vs TN 5 for "Pueblo Corporate Council Sector Sincheck…":
1 2 3 3 3 3 5 5 14 = 3 Successes
«Auto-Judge[]» Johny (#799) rolls 5 vs TN 9:
1 2 3 4 20 = 1 Success
«Plot» Johny says, " Both persons pass through the SIN check in to the PCC without issue."
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls UCAS-00069-0001QM-000003-CD7 (Gregory Smith) vs TN 5 for "SIN check into the PCC nation itself.":
2 2 2 4 4 4 5 5 5 = 3 Successes
«Auto-Judge[]» Johny (#799) rolls 5 vs TN 9 for "PCC check in to the nation itself for SLinger.":
1 1 2 3 7 = 0 Successes
«Plot» Johny says, " both players get in to the Ute Nation with no outstanding issues."

Dane figures he might as well introduce as just, "Dane." to Slinger, but probably keeps the rest of his name to himself, unless Slinger totally hears it from the border dudes. Dane puts his SIN away.

Slinger nods once we're out of earshot. "Slinger's the name I go by when I'm workin'," the elf comments, lighting up another cancer stick. He offers the pack, to be polite, but guesses it'll be turned down. "Ex-cop?" he asks, casually, just to see the other male's reaction.

Dane just waves slightly to the cigarettes, "Yeah. Where did you hear that?" he asks quietly, frowning slightly though. "Not something I like spread around much." he admits softly. He glances at the scenery, recomposing to a fairly neutral expression.

The youth shrugs casually. "One hears things. I like to know a little about who I'm working with. Though I'm curious what happened — most cops don't leave the force. But hey, if you don't want to talk about it, that's cool, too. I don't tell tales, either way. I prefer my secrets stay secret, too." He lights the cigarette, taking a deep drag while he eyes the developing weather.

Dane softly says, "Yeah, I think I rather keep em for now." and then he reclines the seat a little bit, so he could lean back and relax some, since they did have 60 miles to travel.

And then there you are, climbing in to the mountains on this glorious warm and sunny day. Well, its warm probably down in Tuscon or Austin, but here, at 8000 feet? It's colder than a witches tit in a brass bra.

Dane stays awake, of course.

Slinger of course made sure we had plenty of fuel when we departed, and he checks the gauge now. Wouldn't do to become another victim needing rescuing. "All right. You got the maps, guide me where we're going. I figure we'll start from where his vehicle was found, or thereabouts, and head from there?" he suggests.

Dane suggests, "Maybe we should hit— Yeah." he says, and then he checks the maps he had gotten, since they were super-prepped. He tries to coordinate with Slinger about the navigation.

«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Survival vs TN 6 for "Navigating":
2 3 4 4 5 8 = 1 Success
«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Survival - 1 vs TN 6 for "Navigating (KP1)":
3 5 7 10 17 = 3 Successes
«OOC» Johny says, "Well. Thats awesome. You now have a complete understanding of your position and where you are, in relation to the land marks around you. You will not become lost."

Dane attempts to relay the information to Slinger, also mentioning what landmarks gave him these clues, too.

The snowmobiles start right up with nice electric ignitions. Due to the HIGHLY restrictive laws of the Pueblo for personal recreational vehicles, these are almost silent: Electric motors with Internal combustion hybrid back ups.

Slinger parks the vehicle somewhere safe and off the beaten path, and then he takes a few moments to change into the cold weather gear. That's when he climbs out and gets onto one of the vehicles, checking it out, and grins. "Never been on one of these. You got a comm?" he asks, attaching his along with the subvocal mic. "Any idea where this guy went? I'm relying on you for navigation."

Just a short ways off, is the mans vehicle. A nice little four wheel drive city car with respectable power. It's good for rough roads, but not an offroad vehicle. It's covered in snow, but its been shoveled off.

Dane gets their prep gear, strapping things onto the snow mobiles. In response to Slinger's question, after some strapping down, he looks up and around him, just kind of looking at the surroundings to see what he can deduce.

«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Intelligence for "What looks like it might have been a good climbing place?":
3 4 4 5 5 5

The canyon walls here are sort of steep, giving lots of good, fun places to crime, but you know…. if you were going to climb something here… anything.. you'd probably climb the peak itself.

The snowmobiles weigh about 800 pounds each.

Dane says "Not so sure yet, and he probably wanted to go up top on the peak, but let us check the car first?"

Commlink-Slinger> Slinger says, "Radio check?"

Commlink-Slinger> Slinger says, "You check the car. I'm going to go up for a better look…"

Dane gets a data cable from his pocket, and then he pushes up his rambo headband and sockets the end into the datajack. »Probably should not be separating up too much out here. Unless you meant something else?« he advises. Dane goes over toward the vehicle, carefully, and then he peers at one of the windows.

«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Hunting (Tracking) for "Snow probably covered any tracks already, but hey, it never hurts to take a look around the vehicle, right?":
1 2 2 2 2 3 4 4
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Geography (Mana-Lines):
1 3 3 5 8

Look! SNOW!

Dane sees lots and lots of snow. Damnz.

Oh, yeah. This is a major nexus of Rocky Mountain Ley's.

Dane makes sure he has gloves on and then goes about trying to open up the car.

«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Geography (Mana-Lines):
1 3 3 5 8
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Sorcery + Sorcery Pool: 4 + 7 (power focus) vs TN 8 for "Levitate, force 3, into sustaining focus. +4 TN due to extra weight. Not a penalty, part of the base cost…":
1 1 2 2 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 5 5 5 8 10 11 = 3 Successes
«OOC» Slinger says, "What force /was/ that actually? It's a force 3 focus…"
«Auto-Judge[]» Johny (#799) rolls 1:
3
«OOC» Johny says, "Force 6."
«OOC» Johny says, "spell will not take on the foci."
«OOC» Slinger says, "Damn… Slinger'll cancel and try again. Drain resist first…"
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Willpower + Sorcery Pool: 4 vs TN 5 for "Force 6, +2M, 5M drain.":
1 1 2 4 4 4 5 5 7 10 = 4 Successes
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Sorcery + Sorcery Pool: 4 + 7 (power focus) vs TN 8 for "Only force 1 this time, base.":
1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 3 4 5 5 5 5 7 14 16 = 2 Successes
«OOC» Slinger says, "Force?"
«Auto-Judge[]» Johny (#799) rolls 1:
1
«OOC» Johny says, "Force 2"
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Willpower + Sorcery Pool: 4 vs TN 3 for "Force 2, +2M, 3M drain.":
1 1 1 1 1 2 3 3 9 9 = 4 Successes

After a false start or two, and a little more concentration, Slinger manages to lift up the entire snowmobile, with himself on it. He's not good enough to do any real climbing, but the entire device can lift upward, staying fairly close to the mountaintop, and following what seems like a likely course. And hopefully, nobody is really looking this way at the moment. He can't make the whole snowmobile invisible, after all.

Dane looks over toward Slinger after trying to check the vehicle, all its doors, and the trunk, which was probably locked, too. He kind of watches the sight before him, not sure how to take it at first, but then he speaks in through the transducer to to Slinger, "With the warping, will that hold? You will not fall when we get closer to the peak, right?"

Slinger hesitates, then grins. "I sure as hell hope not," he comments. "But no way to tell. You having trouble getting in? I can see what I can do," he offers, as he glides forward and fishes out his toolkit.

Dane nods some, "It is locked. I wanted to investigate a little bit, see if he had anything in here that would give us some ideas."

Dane talks on the comm… without using his mouth, weird datajack people.

«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Geography (Mana-Lines):
1 3 3 5 8
«OOC» Slinger says, "Can I see if I can get in? Electronics B/R and Electronics? And if so, what TN?"
«OOC» Johny nods. 1 minute base time to get the lock mechanism 'open', then a straight electronics roll to get the lock to unlock.
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Electronics B/R + Karma Pool: 1 vs TN 5 for "Attempt to break into maglock, KP 1/21.":
2 5 10 20 = 3 Successes
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Electronics + Karma Pool: 1 vs TN 5 for "Secondary attempt, KP 2/21.":
1 2 2 4 8 = 1 Success
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls 4 vs TN 5 for "KP 3/21.":
1 1 3 5 = 1 Success
«OOC» Johny says, "There ya go. A minute and a half later, you're in the car."
«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Intelligence for "Search Car?":
3 3 4 4 5 9
«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Police Tactics for "Search Car? (Comp?)":
4 4 5 5
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Intelligence for "Search… looking for some clue of maybe where he went. Maps? Discarded wrappers from things? Autonav with positions marked?":
1 1 3 3 3 14

Slinger strides over to the car — still floating on the snowmobile — and proceeds to fiddle with the lock mechanism. And before long — less than a minute, in fact — he has the door open, and gestures toward it with a grand, sweeping gesture.

Dane grins wolfishly for a brief moment before tucking the expression away into his regular neutrality. "Thank you." he tells his comrade before he pokes his head inside the car to take a look around.

The car is.. a car. The guy has a small amount of pot under the drivers seat, but otherwise, it's just a guys car. Some extra gear in the back, but nothing untword or out of place.

Dane pulls back, "Other than some pot in there, nothing I can see that gives us any idea what trail he was hoping to take, as far as I can see." and he shrugs some before he locks the door, getting ready to close it, but gives a glance toward Slinger before he does.

Dane holds the door for him, like a gentleman.

The mans a neat freak. He drove up here to go climbing. Wrappers on the floor involve nothing more than a bit of fast food. Maps he would have taken with him. In your professional opinions, the car is a dead end.

Slinger nods, climbs out of the car, and carefully locks it. That done, he looks around. "All right. Lead the way. You think I should be invisible, leave the vehicle? I can do that," the youth offers. "Might even be best, actually. Give you some backup while you explore."

Dane thinks for a moment, "Considering he is possibly dying, and we need to move quick, I am going to say we should prolly use the snow mobiles. They seem pretty quiet. Mine will leave tracks, though, not that it might even be a problem if we get this done quick enough. Are you able to make the flying one invisible, too? Along with you? I'm not very good with magic, so I am not sure…"

Slinger considers that for a moment, lights up a cancer stick, inhales deeply. "I'm tempted to not even use mine. My spell can move me pretty fast, compared. But that'd leave me free to keep yours off the ground, and invisible." He considers that for a moment, then shrugs his shoulders. "This is your terrain. I'll leave it up to you."

Dane looks up toward the peak, and then he looks back to Slinger, "You already cast it on this one, so maybe I should just climb aboard this one?" He asks while motioning to the one that slinger had up in the air. Dane was a little worried about actually flying the thing with the magical problems, but he does not show it, and he moves to approach.

Slinger smiles, and climbs off of his snowmobile, then reaches out to guide Dane onto it. "Good thought. And the magic — I can keep it in check," he assures his friend. "Just tell me where you want it to go, and we'll go there. We'll need your eyes and your experience." He lights up a fresh cigarette, letting out a cloud of smoke that floats on the air before dissipating. "So where to first?"

In the distance, the early afternoon sun gleams off Pikes Peak, casting a long shadow.

Dane looks around at the peak, and he motions toward it, "Well, over there sounds like a good plan." he says softly. He settles into the seat of the snow mobile with uncertain movements, finally getting ready to direct their travels.

A cloud of smoke marks where the young mage is, to those who know where to look, though it swiftly dissipates on the breeze. He hunkers down in his cold-weather gear — and the snowmobile moves along in silence, providing us a way to avoid leaving any tracks at all. "Hopefully the thing doesn't conk out or something. Nobody'd be able to trail us," Slinger jokes, while he moves toward the peak, maintaining concentration over the spells.

Overhead, an Imperial Eagle wheels on a thermal, gaining altitude on the updraft.

Dane takes note of the eagle, hmming softly about the creature. Eagles were not a common thing, or so he thought. He looks back to the navigating he was trying to do, and as they near the mountain, he looks for any other signs of life.

The eagle might have some significance. Slinger points it out, though doesn't suggest much of anything it might mean. "If it was a vulture, maybe that'd give us an idea where he is," the youth adds morbidly, muttering under his breath. And finding himself wishing more and more with each passing moment that he was back in his warm apartment with Orpheus.

«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Intelligence for "Perception.":
1 4 5 8 8 11

Dane looks over the snow capped peak, this plot taking place a few weeks ago when Snow was more prevalent. Or maybe one of those freak storms out of the Ute Nation came through. There's a man out there. A skilled climber, who's lost, who's not reported in. Who wasn't prepared for snow, save in the basest ways.

Where would you go… where would YOU go. And how would you get there. You'd want shelter. Maybe build a snow shelter or find a fallen tree; if you were on the forest floor. But if you were mid climb, by god, it would be almost impossible to find shelter. Your fingers would get cold, possibly freeze, ice would build up on the rock and you'd lose friction. Lose purchase.

You'd fall.

Dane is the outdoorsman, and this is right up his alley. Slinger stays close, resisting the urge to climb onto the snowmobile with his companion; it would feel good to sit down, and share warmth — but at the same time, it might well increase the load on the contraption. Meanwhile, the cold is seeping into his body, despite the layers of gear, and he begins moving a little bit more, trying to increase his circulation. "Where to, now?" he asks, as we start to approach the peak.

Dane peers hard at the mountain and then looks back to Slinger and then back toward the eagle. "You know. That bird might have a nest somewhere. Eagles often perch high." he tells his mage friend.

Slinger considers that, lifting a brow. Another cigarette is lit; at least the fire is a little warm, though smoking is tricky with gloves on. Still, the young mage manages it. "If that'd help us find the guy, we could do that. He might be holed up in a cave somewhere." He considers that for a moment. "You know… I could summon up a watcher, maybe. Might at least try it… see if it could search the area for us. Give us some idea where he might be."

Dane nods just a little bit, "You could try, but would it break our flying spells up for you to do that?" he asks the elven man. Looking around, he decides to keep going, trying to keep an eye on the Eagle and on the peak. "He might be at the base though, too, during weather like this. If he did not have a chance to make it into a cave or some such." he tells.

Slinger shakes his head. "Just makes it a little harder, but I can keep the spells going." He considers. "Just not sure a summoning is the safest thing, given how spells have been working." He lets out a slow breath of smoke, considering it, while he continues flying above the ground, keeping us about ten feet above it. Eerily, we cast no shadow on the ground, nor leave any kind of tracks. And he keeps his voice as low as he can and still be heard.

Dane is riding on the flying snow mobile, and he adjusts his winter gear to keep the wind from biting into him. Dane was always soft spoken, so he did not make much disruption to the setting, either. He says quietly in his faintly accented voice, "Let us just keep rolling. Hopefully, we will find something soon. Rather not chance getting you hurt with the… whatever we call it." he admits softly. Dane keeps scanning the area with his eyes, trying to find any clues.

«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Intelligence:
1 2 2 5 5 9
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Intelligence for "-4 TN due to maintaining spells":
1 2 3 4 7 8
«Auto-Judge[]» Johny (#799) rolls 4:
1 7 10 16

Unseen by Slinger or Dane as they pass by, a pair of yellow eyes watch, curiously from the brush. Haunches flex, lips curl in to a silent snarl. Two legs on his land. He pads along side their path, keeping to the rear, watching, observing; keeping hidden.

Slinger is concentrating enough on his spells that he is oblivious to the creature, and he continues flying along, staying about ten feet upward, waiting for some guidance from Dane as we get closer to the mountain itself. "Looking for ideas — you still have any kind of trail? Or are we just looking blindly? And should I do that summoning?" he asks, his voice distorted by chattering teeth.

Dane mentions, "Thinking the search for cave or for somewhere close to the base of the peak is the best idea." and then would try to direct accordingly. He, too, is unaware of the creature that was following them.

Slinger, for his part, is just trying to look around for anything cavelike, anything that might provide shelter or a refuge. It sounded easy in the briefing, but out here, in the vast wilderness, there are a thousand places that someone might be, a hundred nooks and crannies that could shelter a human — or might hide a body, just as easily. He lifts the two of us upward, as we finally approach the mountain, hoping that height will give us a better vantage point.

This way, this flying thing, its kind of odd. It's not subtle, not by a long shot, but it is FAST. He has to lunge fast through the snow to keep up, watching these flying two legs and their strange machine.

«OOC» Johny will give another perception check now
«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Intelligence:
3 3 4 4 5 11
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Intelligence for "-4 due to maintaining spells.":
2 3 3 4 5 10

Now, higher and able to see, Dane spies something in the snow near the base of the mountain. It catches the light and glints back to him.

"Slinger," Dane begins softly, "Down there. I saw something glinting, might be worth taking a look." he tells his comrade, and then begins to motion toward where he wants them to go.

Dane motions toward the base of the mountainside, where he saw the glinting.

Slinger doesn't hesitate at all — instead, he begins moving us at a rapid pace toward it, eyes straining to make out some detail. That's when he shifts his vision into the astral, hoping to spot something that his sharp-eyed companion cannot yet see, some hint of what we are looking for. "Please let it be some sign of this guy," the youth mutters.

Dane also mumurs, "Hopefully." in response to what Slinger says, and he keeps himself calm, by force, while holding onto the flying machine between his legs.

On the astral plane… Dear god. It's a like it's snowing in the Astral, obscuring almost all vision beyond a few yards.

Well, so much for that idea. Slinger fixates on the present, and checks his ability to filter mana, for now. Strange to have to do so in a clean, pristine place like this. Background count — that, itself, is unusual. Some kind of storm in the mana… perhaps something to investigate. "See anything?" he asks, as he manuevers himself and Dane closer.

Dane keeps looking toward where he saw the glinting, and he tries to make out whatever he can while they keep up the flying. "Looking…" he says.

«OOC» Johny says, "Dane, gimmie a perception check."
«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Intelligence:
3 3 4 4 5 11

You paged Dane with 'You look to the clouds, and they seem to be shifting rapidly. Unnaturally fast. Billowing outward, gaining mass and weight. Very fast. Snow clouds, full of moisture and gaining more by the minute.'.

Getting close to the glint now, Dane will find it to be a set of binoculars, barely sticking out of the snow, uncovered by some sort of digging animal and tossed aside, gnawed on for a moment but unharmed.

The sunlight dims a moment as clouds slide across it.

Slinger: Storm? Storm? It was a beautiful sunny da… what the bloody fuck? Where did those clouds come from and why are they billowing so rapid.. ooooooooooh. The astral storm is feeding the real storm… ooooooooohhhh….

It makes a certain sense.

Yeah, those roughly approximate Slinger's thoughts. "Storm," he says, and smirks, lighting up a cancer stick. He's smoked about half a pack already, trying to stay warm. "How did I know? Were they predicting one or something?" He knows the weather is unpredictable hereabouts. "It's already storming on the astral," he remarks. But even as he complains, his eyes follow the binoculars upward — hopefully retracing the path they might have taken while falling down the mountainside.

«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Intelligence:
1 1 2 2 3 5
«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Intelligence for "KP2":
1 2 5 5 9 9
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Intelligence for "-4":
1 1 1 2 4 5

Dane huhs softly about the astral storm, "Did not know there were storms on the astral plane. Learn something new every day." he murmurs but keeps sweeping and scanning with his eyes to try to find what they need.

Slinger looks up, and almost catches a facefull of eagle dung. He narrowly manages to avoid catching it right in his mouth. THat would have been GROSS.

Dane looks up the mountain, exhaling. Okay… it may have bounced there… thats the mark here on the glasses. But they are in pretty good condition. Couldn't have fallen overly far.. no… Maybe a hundred feet, at the most. Well, there's what looks like a ledge up that way…

Dane motions toward the ledge he sees, doing so quickly, "There! Dane says very quickly but quietly, "Let us check up there on the ledge."

"Yeah, I didn't know that, either," Slinger remarks. He flicks his cigarette down into the snow, and looks up — and narrowly misses gettig it in his mouth, and turns and spits anyway, shaking his head. "What the hell is that?" he wants to know. The youth shakes his head again, before lifting the two of us upward. "Bird crap, I think. Ew!" He spits again, before carefully looking up once again, shielding his face with his hand just in case.

Dane glances over at Slinger. It might be a good thing that the astral storm makes things difficult to see right now, because Dane was having a hilarious old time behind the neutral facade that he generally keeps. Outwardly, he does not snicker, and part of him actually feels bad about Slinger getting bird feced, but that only takes 1 second of his time before he looks back toward the ledge, hoping to find their objective up there.

«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls 4 (centering) vs TN 5 for "Centering vs penalties. TN is 8 + 4 (sustaining) - 7 (initiate grade)… each 2 successes negates +1 of penalties.":
2 3 4 4 = 0 Successes
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls 4 vs TN 5 for "KP 4/21.":
1 3 10 17 = 2 Successes
«OOC» Slinger says, "I'll take that."
«OOC» Johny nods. TN 11
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Magic vs TN 11 for "Dunno what this is for…":
1 2 2 3 3 3 3 4 4 5 9 11 = 1 Success
You paged Slinger with 'As you rise up, your spell starts to falter, loosing power; but you're able to keep going and keep your spell going.'.

Slinger mutters, and then glances around. Nobody is watching that he can see — and he drops the invisiblity spell on Dane. "Sorry, man. Can't keep you shielded. And we need the snowmobile and the ability to go /up/," he tells his friend, struggling with the magical energies with the storm brewing. "Let's find this guy fast and get the frag outta here!"

On the astral, the blizzard has hit in fullness, howling spectral winds and blowing snow that stings the skin; luckly, you're not astral. But it means that the real thing can't be far behind. THunder breaks in the distance, too close for comfort as the sun is blocked again… and then doesn't come back.

Dane nods just a little bit, not minding much. "Tis fine." he says softly to his comrade, and then he leans a bit forward, as if trying to will the mobile to go faster to the ledge, but it was really up to Slinger's control. He keeps is eyes glancing toward the ground and then up toward the ledge, glance glance… He hopes they do not fall.

Slinger's will is going into getting the Snowmobile to move as fast as he can, along with himself, and praying to whatever Gods there might be that the storm doesn't weaken his control any further. He is maintaining only one spell right now, and fighting for control — and so far, maintaining it. How far to the ledge? The cliff face is flying by, and the disappearance of the sun cannot be a good sign.

Dane casts a glance over toward Slinger for a moment, and then he looks up toward the Eagle and then back toward the ledge. He frowns softly, but he stays quiet, hoping that they make it to at least the ledge before storm breaks.

"You aren't invisible anymore," Slinger manages through clenched teeth. Even with the slow rise of the snowmobile, it is still far faster than climbing by hand. "Might get ready to shoot the damned thing if it comes at us. Might be a paracritter… or think it's defending its eggs." He doesn't even want to think about what might happen if it turns out to be a /higher/ ledge… one that he can't so easily reach. We might have to hole up and wait for the storm to pass.

And then the crest of the ledge is taken. It's only about 2 feet wide, but there, back in a crevasse, is Mr. John Selevar. He's curled in to a ball, but from here it's easy enough to see the torn, jagged line of bone sticking through his calf and the frostbitten, black finger tips.

Dane glances toward the bird, and he frowns softly for a moment here. Shooting people was one thing, but shooting critters was a whole different matter to Dane. He did not like doing it, not one bit. "Shoot the eagle, you say? How about you just put me in between you and it? Rather not shoot him. If he swoops me, I will be fi—" he stops midsentence as he sees the man there. "There he is!"

Slinger takes the opportunity to set the vehicle down on the ledge. He doesn't /dare/ cancel the spell, but he is already moving toward the man. "Mr. Selevar!" Slinger calls, forgetting that he's invisible for the moment. "Don't move." At least he hopes the man is alive — he doesn't dare try a healing spell. Instead, though, he examines the man's injuries using good old-fashioned biotech. "I'm a mage, sir, and invisible," he says, before even attempting to touch the victim.

Dane hops off of the vehicle, glad to have his feet on solid ground, and then he starts to unstrap the pack he had tied down onto the snow mobile from earlier on when they were just getting the rides unloaded. He takes the pack and walks it over toward the man, "I have a savior medkit." he offers softly. "Are you pretty good with them?" he asks Slingy.
Dane asks… wherever he thinks Slingy is.

Slinger shakes his head, then remembers he's invisible. "No. I kinda suck, to be honest. Too reliant on my mojo, and it don't work up here. But if we can get him down somewhere safe, away from here, I can heal him." He turns his attention back to the man, waiting, hoping for some kind of response… while he at least checks the man's vitals.

Mr. Selvar is not currently responsive, but a quick check will show he's still alive. HIs leg has been tourniquet'd with a belt, the result is that leg is gone, from the knee down, but he saved his life. He has frost bite on large portions of his body, but is otherwise stable. He won't be if this storm comes in though.

Slinger winces as he sees the leg — indeed, it is dead. Beyond the help of his magic. But it did save his life, that much is clear. "Hit him with the medkit, and then let's get him on the snowmobile. I still have the spell going, so you'll have to use the medkit. Make it count, man." Slinger is still gritting his teeth, as the effort of sustaining the spell gets more and more difficult.

Dane looks at the pack and then remembers what Johny had said previously concerning electronics. The Savior Advanced System was electronic in nature, as well as having many minute nanites that did their job. Maybe… it was not such a great idea to be doing it with the medkit? He frowns some, and then he says softly, "Probably not a good idea for us to use these electronics right now, not here." he admits softly before moving quickly to get a thermal blanket out of his survival kit and then wrap the man and start picking him up after surveying the situation, "Going to have to just get moving." he says quietly.

"Drek. You're right." Slinger nods once, and then crouches down to gently help Dane move the man's inert body. "Let's left him into the snowmobile, strap him in — and pray. Hopefully down will go faster than up. Just not /too/ much faster," he adds, with morbid humor.

Dane nods a little bit, "Aye. Slinger, can you keep us within a foot of the ground and just roll like that? In case you do drop the spells, then we can just drive?" offering up that suggestion. Dane gets the man situated on the snow mobile with Slinger's help, and then he climbs on behind him, entrapping the man with the handles and his arms.

Slinger looks down the sheer cliff face, and shakes his head. "No way this snowmobile could go down it. It's mojo, or nothin' man." He glances over and watches Dane trying to work, frowning a little bit. Doesn't look like it's going well.

Dane gets the guy situated, and then when he is sat in front of him, Dane leaves all of the snow mobile handling to Slinger. In the meantime, Dane would reach down as if he were about to start the thing like a 4 wheeler, but instead, he grabs the man's leg. Dane shoves his thigh up under the frozen man's thigh, and then with a quick downward tug, he realigns things. Once the gruesome pulling and pop is done, he makes sure to get a boot up under the foot, holding everything in place by hand. The belt tourniquet is a great thing, since it kept the blood from flowing. Dane tries to keep as much of the thermal blanket around their charge as possible, and he would do what he could to just manually hold the boy together. He grabs some of his things with his other hand, and he tries to find something else with which to help steady the positioning.

Once they are strapped in, Slinger grunts. "Hold on," the young mage says, and lights up another cigarette to help him concentrate. He draws in deeply, using the smoke as a focus for his energies — and then lifts the thing from the ledge, and sends it down over, tensing, ready to fight the spell for control if he has to. Using all his willpower to direct the magic, and make sure their descent is slow and steady.

Dane hears the warning to hold on, and so he just mushes his pack in between the back of the frozen guy as well as his frontside, and he frees his hands to keep a hold on the leg positioning as well as the snow ride itself, also tucking a chin over the guy's shoulder. He says nothing, just holds on as advised.

«OOC» Johny says, "Slinger; magic test, TN 8(10)"
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Centering vs TN 3 for "Centering against penalties. TN is 8, +2 sustaining, -7 init grade. TN 3.":
2 3 4 4 5 = 4 Successes
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls 4 (centering) vs TN 3 for "Centering against penalties. TN is 8, +2 sustaining, -7 init grade. TN 3.":
3 4 4 5 = 4 Successes
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Magic vs TN 8 for "Fighting to maintain controll…":
1 2 2 2 2 2 3 4 4 9 11 11 = 3 Successes

Maybe the smoke is helping, or maybe he's just that desperate. But the control comes more easily this time, as the youth seems to get the hang of the ebb and flow of the magic. He relies on his focus to keep him in control, as he moves the sled downward relatively quickly, at the limits of the spell — and tries hard to make sure it stays that way. And he keeps a firm eye toward he ground, which is coming at us awfully quickly. "Gonna set down the sled, and then you can drive him back. Not gonna try to do anything until we're somewhere where magic and tech /work/ again!"

Dane stiffens slightly about the quick descent but does not complain at all right now. He nods softly, and he keeps holding their charge in one piece by hand pretty much. He says quietly, "Aye. Hopefully, it will start."

By the time you hit the ground, the wind is up and snow is starting to come down. Lightly at first, but harder, coming sideways and with force.

Dane grunts softly as they land, and then he starts trying to get the snow mobile started up, praying to God that it does.

The young mage waits until the snowmobile is safely down, then starts to release the spell — and stops himself just in time. "Make sure it starts, first," he advises, glancing around. Tech is unreliable, and he might well have to move the thing back. There's no good way to carry the guy — and the spell is the best bet until the engine starts and runs reliably. The young mage winces as the wind stings his face. He is chilled to the bone already, and it promises to only get worse.

Back on the ground, the man groans quietly as the machine takes to the snow again, the howling wind picking up. You need to get thee hence, and quickly, it may seem.

«OOC» Dane says, "Does it start up?"
«OOC» Johny says, "Gimmie a tracked vehicles roll! Default to car at TN 5"

«Auto-Judge[]» Dane (#337) rolls Car vs TN 5:
1 2 5 = 1 Success

«OOC» Johny says, "Hey, it starts!"

Once the thing seems to actually be running, Slinger sets it down gently on the snow and then releases the spell with a groan of relief. "Back to our vehicle," the youth urges. "On the double. Even if you get ahead of me, don't sweat it. Right now, important thing is getting him safe." He drags hard on his cigarette as he sets his own maximum pace back toward the SUV.

Dane starts up the very softly purring mobile, and then he starts trying to drive his way toward the direction from where they came, trying to get both himself and their objected out of here. He keeps his leg firm under the man's but to maneuver the actual vehicle, he ends up having to use both hands for that, keeping the guy leant against his chest between his arms.

The young mage drops the invisibility spell, instead just focussing on the levitation. Unfortunately, he's going as fast as he can — which might well keep up with the snowmobile, given the rough terrain. He is watching the storm — at least until visibility drops to nothing. "Tell me that thing can navigate!" he shouts over the wind. "Or at least /you/ can!"

Now, with the man in charge, stabilized and in tow, with Dane on the snow mobile and confident of his way back, and Slinger no longer carrying (literally) the team on his shoulders, it's, despite the blizard of epic proportions that blows in suddenly, easy enough to get back to the truck. Oddly, the farther you get from the peak, the less the storm rages, so that when you get back to the truck… it's only a light flurry with patches of clear sky.

Magic. Crazy shit.

Slinger will check the astral at this distance, and then lets out a slow breath. He climbs into his vehicle, starts up the engine, and cranks the heater full blast — and then works on puttin down the seats. "Get him in here, then we can try the medkit — and I'll do my best to heal him." He dials his cellphone next, giving Johny a call. And puts it on speakerphone, to leave his hands free, and let Dane join in.

Johny answers the phone. "Sawyer." He says without even a trace of irony.

Slinger doesn't catch the reference, apparently. "Got him. He's frostbitten, and is gonna need a new leg. And he's cold as hell. Doing what we can. You got someplace we can take him for medical attention?

Johny exhales. "Take him directly to the Manitou Springs Regional Trauma Center. I'll alert them that your coming in."

Slinger pauses while he works. "And what do we tell them? We aren't exactly authorized rescue workers. Just wanna make sure our cover stories jive."

"It won't be an issue. You found him when your car lost a tire up in the Pikes Peak Area. It's not an official holy site to the Pueblo, despite its connection to the Ute, and thats one of the sources of friction between the two people."

"You don't need to tell them you found him ON the peak."

Slinger says "Understood. All right. We have it from here. Out." He snaps the phone closed, then moves back to help Dane load the man up. Right now, what he wants more than anything is a hot bath. Once the guy is inside, that's when he'll crawl in the back, with the engine running, the heater blasting… and evaluate his injuries in better light."

The man has severe frost bite, a leg beyond salvaging, and what look to be talon rakes down his back, perhaps precipitating the fall. The claw-marks look to be puffy and infected. He will likely loose some of the tissue in his back.

«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Magic vs TN 2 for "Filtering against BG count.":
1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 7 9 10 10 = 10 Successes
«OOC» Johny says, "you filter -the fuck- out of it"
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Sorcery + Sorcery Pool: 5 + 7 (power focus) vs TN 4 for "Heal, F6, essence is 6, BI of 0. TN is 4 thanks to filtering.":
1 1 1 2 4 4 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 5 5 11 20 = 14 Successes
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls Willpower + Sorcery Pool: 3 vs TN 3 for "F6, Draincode is (DL), 3S.":
1 2 2 2 2 2 2 10 11 = 2 Successes
«Auto-Judge[]» Slinger (#69) rolls 7 vs TN 3 for "KP… 6/21?":
1 3 3 4 4 5 5 = 6 Successes

Once the medkit is applied, Slinger winces… and shakes his head. There may not be much he can do… but he can at least stabilize the patient. Perhaps even do something about the frostbite. He concentrates, clearing his connection with the mana… and then proceeds to send his magical energies into the other man, sending the powerful magical healing into him.

The energy slides through the mans body, and some of the superficial wounds heal, color returning, as if by magic, to some of the least damaged frostbitten areas. Fingertips and toes will remain black and will likely need to be amputated, but he returns to colored health with a start, his eyes flying open.

"You're safe, Mr. Selevar," Slinger says quietly — as he works on making the spell permanent. Just a few seconds. "We're getting you to the hospital. Don't try to struggle, please," he says, the effort of sustaining the spell clear on his face. And then he relaxes, pulling his hand back. "You had a nasty accident. Don't try to move."
He nods to Dane, letting him drive for the moment, while he stays back with the patient.

"NAsty accident hell…" HE mutters, not struggling, but looking down at his leg. "Goddamn eagle tore my back open, I lost my grip… fell. Shattered my leg and my cellphone wouldn't work."

The youth nods quietly. "Yeah. Paracritters. This one seemed to be pretty good at negating both mojo and tech. You need anything for the pain?" he wonders, as he holds on, wincing as Dane takes a corner a little hard. "The docs'll probably have to take the leg, but they'll get you a new one, good as new. Maybe even better," he says with a casual grin — trying to make some light of it. "And you'll have a helluva story to tell."

"There is that…" He says, looking down at himself. "Thanks. Thanks for coming to get me. I appreciate it. I thought I was dead up there. I couldn't climb, I lost my pack in the fall and no one knew where I was."

Slinger smiles. "It was rough to find you, sir," the youth agrees. He reaches for his pack of cigarettes and leans back in the SUV, giving the man an apologetic glance. An athlete like that probably wouldn't smoke. "Sorry, but I kinda need one. Still trying to warm up," he admits.

"It's cool." He says, laying back and looking at the dome light. "It's your truck, an all."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License